Interviewe with JUSTINE from BLUE MIDNIGHT

 LA based, blue midnight is a power house of searing melody and metal riffs, tempered by an overall spacial sensuality that puts your restless soul into a deep dream like state. In fact they have dubbed their brand of metal, dream metal, and there is no doubt this band is a force to be reckoned with.




1. Take us through the writing process
Justine: The writing process is very emotional for me. I usually always start with lyrics because I always want to make sure that I’m telling a story and my own personal truth. I like to really think about the words and the journey of the song. I love to think about highs and lows.It always starts with a pen and paper. I don’t even type. I really think handwritten lyrics are more powerful and more raw.
2. What has been the most satisfying moment as a band?
Justine: I remember when we were getting ready to play our first gig ever and we had trouble getting things down in rehearsal. We kept messing up a chorus or two. It took us hours to hammer out the transitions and really figure things out. However, once we did and once we got the momentum going, it really felt rewarding. We also have these moments at rehearsals where we feel like we n
eed to run things over again, but we’re so hungry. We always make a compromises like run this one more time and then we can eat.
3. You have described your music as “Dream Metal” What does This mean?
Justine: Dream Metal is a genre that I created because I wanted a new way to classify my music. The idea behind Dream Metal is that it is very light and ethereal with synthesizers, strings, pure vocals and electronic drums, but then it is fused with elements of heavy metal like 7 string guitar, hard hitting drums, and bass. The idea is for people to rock out while feeling like they are in a dream like state at the same time.
4. “Addicted and Love Fades” are two of our favorites, tell us more about their creation
Justine: Thank you so much! I am really glad you like those songs! Addicted was such a huge song for us to write because we did not write in 4. We actually wrote that song in 6. The song was meant to sound bigger and epic than a lot of the other songs. I also really like how I placed that song behind Acid Rain on the album because I think it just adds more energy. Love Fades is a very different type of song for me. I wrote Love Fades when I was in a darker place. I really think its one of the heaviest songs on the albums. When I was doing lyrics for Love Fades, it just poured out of me naturally. The interesting thing about Love Fades is that we wrote it in a key that I normally do not write in. We wrote in F#m.
5. Strangest thing that ever happened to you at a gig
Justine: I almost fell off the stage twice at the Whisky A Go Go in the same night. The first time, I tripped over the drums. The second time, I was getting off stage and I almost fell down the stairs. Luckily there were people around me who saw it coming and helped me out!
6. Something in your music collection listeners would never suspect
Justine: I really love the 500 Days of Summer Soundtrack. I love Zooey Deschanel and her music. Its awesome. I know I’m like a metal musician and everything, but that soundtrack was so well curated.
7. How is the current L.A. music scene and how do they treat your band
Justine: The LA music scene is kind of interesting. LA is very spread out city. I find that bands have generally been picking neighborhoods that they usually perform in. For example, my band plays a lot in the Hollywood area. However, I know bands that specialize and play in Venice or they play in West Los Angeles. I think everyone’s just looking for that place where they have their draw. The good news is that people still do like rock and there is a rock scene. It can a little harder to access, but it is still very much alive.
8 one band you would love to tour with
Justine: Maynard, please call me. Blue Midnight would love to go on tour with Tool or A Perfect Circle. I’m a huge fan.
9 future plans for the band
Justine: Oh yeah! We’re already starting to write new material. You can expect more live shows from us in the Los Angeles and Orange County area. Eventually we want to start going on tour more! We are in development for a potential music video! Just keep following us everyone! We have lots of plans!
10. advice to aspiring bands or musicians
Justine: Don’t be afraid to book shows or send emails or make phone calls. Don’t be afraid to work hard and push for your music. At the end of the day, you are your biggest advocate. Nothings going to happen overnight.
11. anything you wish to convey to the fans
Justine: I just want to convey my gratitude for everyone who’s been listening, coming to see us live, for all the radio stations that have been playing our music, and everyone who’s joined the Blue Midnight family. It’s really humbling and this music means everything to me. It’s literally my whole life. Thank you so much! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LOVEBITES interview for CRY OF THE WOLF MAGAZINE

Metal Blade announces new ARCH/MATHEOS album

DAVE MUSTAINE INTERVIEW